Hello! We are excited to present SourceRuns Half-Life Jump Map Cup #4, with over 600€ in the prize pool already. It will take place on May 22nd through May 24th, with qualifiers on May 16th. Head over to our Discord server at https://discord.gg/sourceruns for more information!
The 3rd edition of SourceRuns Half-Life Jump Map Cup is now finished!
Congratulations to 🇵🇱 Ninya for taking the 1st place, and 🇷🇺 Bkmz with the runner-up place! Insane stuff showcased by both runners, this was the tightest grand final we had so far in these events!
Additional thanks to all the participants and the people who have contributed to the prize pool. You guys are what made this tournament possible!
We hope everyone had a great experience, until next time!
After a long delay, we’re happy to finally announce the 3rd edition of everyone’s favorite, SourceRuns Half-Life Jump Map Cup!
These events weren’t intended to be held only once a year, but better late than never! Hopefully we can make it more frequent this time round.
The cup will take place on May 26th, starting at 15:00 UTC.
As usual, it will be a live event that we will stream on our Twitch channel at http://twitch.tv/SourceRuns so make sure you’re following it.
This time we’ll be introducing some new maps, though a couple of classic ones have remained as well.
A package with all the map files is available here.
Rules & Format
The rules and the format is exactly the same as our last event, but to reiterate:
- The tournament will have a Best of 3 Single Elimination format, with the grand final being Best of 5. Each participant will be able to pick one and ban two maps out of the pool. During the grand final, each player will only be able to ban one map.
- All runs are done in a Half-Life multiplayer mod Adrenaline Gamer, on a server running HL KreedZ. The mod has uncapped bunnyhopping and a built-in autojump feature that you will be able to use.
- In order to allow fair competition, the fps_max CVAR is capped to 249.5
- Using checkpoints and teleports is not allowed, every run has to be a “Pure” run.
- Abuse of health boosters to gain speed at the start is not allowed.
- Tournament runs will be 1v1 races.
- Any kind of scripted sequences are banned (including agtricks stairs script), except OpenAG autojump, duckroll, doubleduck and usespam.
- You are required to record demos during your runs and be able to provide them if requested.
- No cheating or external assistance of any kind.
You can practice the maps in the following servers
- United Kingdom – 126.96.36.199:27015
- United States – 188.8.131.52:27015
- Germany – 184.108.40.206:27015
- Finland – 220.127.116.11:27015
We are having an open prize pool to which you can donate here. Donations will be kept open throughout the entire live event until the end.
Final prize pool amount: 813,77€ (798,54€ after PayPal fees)
1st place winner will receive 60%
2nd place winner will receive 30%
Remaining 10% will be put towards organizational costs.
Sign-ups are now closed. Brackets are available for viewing over here.
Stay tuned for further updates! Should you have any questions, feel free to join our Discord server or contact me at execut4ble#8464.
The SourceRuns Marathon 2018 is now over. Over the last weekend, August 3rd through 5th, we have been streaming speedruns of over 30 games, while also raising a total of $522 for the National Alliance of Mental Illness.
We want to express a big thanks to all the runners, donators and to everyone who have stuck around, allowing us all to have a great time. We hope you enjoyed the show.
If you have missed any runs, we have made a list of the VODs available on our forums. Check it out!
See you next year!
We’re glad to announce that the long awaited Half-Life: Done Enormously Warped speedrun will premiere this Sunday, on the 15th of July, at 17:00 UTC, live on our Twitch channel!
During the stream we will also showcase the main tricks used in the run, and possibly an in-depth commentary by the runners.
In other timezones:
- 13:00 EST
- 19:00 CEST
- 20:00 MSK
- Or your local timezone (if not listed above): http://lmgtfy.com/?q=17%3A00+UTC
Get ready, Half-Life in 6 minutes, 26 seconds!
Summer of SourceRuns is currently underway, and before we go into the big news, I would like to announce that Half-Life 2 Gravity Gun only speedrun is being premiered this Sunday, July 8th at 17:00 UTC, live on our Twitch channel! Don’t miss it!
Meanwhile, we have began organizing the annual SourceRuns Marathon this year, which will take place on August 3rd-5th!
We have now opened sign-ups for all runners who are willing to participate in the marathon. Just as before, every GoldSrc & Source game/mod is welcome (and prioritized), but this year we will also be accepting other “non-Valve” games to our repertoire, so do not hesitate to submit them! The sign-up form can be found here.
The sign-ups will be open for two weeks, closing on July 21st. After that, we will be contacting the runners and building the schedule for the marathon. Keep an eye for any updates being posted here for more details.
If you have any questions feel free to ask them on our forums, or find us on our Discord server!
See you soon!
We’ve got some updates to share with you from the speedrun forgery! Looks like 2018 will be a grand year for speedruns, here’s what we have going on right now:
Half-Life: Done Enormously Warped
The run is finally finished, clocking in at the time of 06:25.572! The team has been working hard the past few months to get it done after some inactivity. As reported by shar, the run will now enter the video production stage, which means it will have to be captured, edited and rendered before it’s ready for the public. It will take some time, so it’s best to follow the progress on the run’s spreadsheet.
Half-Life 2: Episode One Done Quicker
Next up, we’ve got Half-Life 2: Episode One Done Quicker! Most of you probably expected this run to be dead ever since we posted the trailer for it and then went quiet without issuing any further updates. Well, good news: after suffering multiple restarts, it’s finally done too! The final time is 15:51.959 and the video is currently being worked on. We expect it to be finished before HL:DEW. Stay tuned!
Half-Life 2: Gravity Gun Only
Finally, there’s Half-Life 2: Gravity Gun Only, currently slowly (or quickly!) but steadily making it’s way through d3_citadel_01. While it’s definitely a run of a non-standard category, it should be quite a show for anyone who would like to see what DWaHMoV 2.0 would be like. Or just how on earth is it possible to beat the game without any weapons but the Gravity gun!
That’s it for now, but we’ve got many other projects that we’re working on under the covers! In the near future, we’ll be announcing the premiere dates/times for the runs mentioned in this post, so keep an eye on social media (or this site) for further updates.
UPDATE (APRIL 2nd): The changes have caused a massive uproar within the community, therefore, after some intense consideration, we have decided to cancel them. The rules will be rolled back to their previous state. Happy holidays everyone! 🤥👀📅
After some thorough discussions with the moderators of GoldSrc games’ speedrun leaderboards over at speedrun.com, we have reached an agreement to ban the usage of the widespread tool “Bunnymod XT” in speedruns. The reason behind this decision has to do with BXT being an external injectable hack that modifies the game’s integrity in order to simulate a behaviour of certain game versions, i.e. running WON version on a Steam distribution of the game.
We feel that the usage of Bunnymod XT prevents us from verifying the true legitimacy of the runs, as the game is being modified and is no longer the vanilla game that is being distributed on CDs or through Steam. In other words, WON speedruns should be done strictly on WON version distributions of the game, as doing otherwise can introduce a lot of unknown artifacts that were never part of the original game.
From now on, runs of GoldSrc games will have to be done on official, unmodified (vanilla) releases of the game.
In addition, all previous runs using Bunnymod XT will be removed from the leaderboards.
We’ve also made some minor rule changes to accommodate things like timing methods, run verification and other things that have relied on the use of Bunnymod XT. Please read carefully through the updated rules section of each game of your interest.
We do not tolerate cheating in any shape or form. Anticheat improvements are currently being discussed and worked on for potential future cases.
As you might’ve noticed, we’ve migrated our forums software to the new and shiny Discourse!
This mainly allows us to integrate the forums better into the site, adding the ability to easily discuss each post over at the forums, while also making it more simple for everyone to jump into discussion due to a more simplistic layout. Go check it out!
Since our forums were pretty dead lately, hopefully this will spark up some new discussions. If you have any feedback (suggestions, improvements, bug-reports), let us know!
Just as before, the main place of our conversations is over at our Discord server, which (if you aren’t part of it yet) you can join at https://discord.gg/sourceruns
The second SourceRuns Half-Life Jump Map Cup is finished!
🇧🇪 Beginner takes the crown with a 3-1 victory against 🇹🇷 ThereIsNoNeedToRun, congratulations!
We want to thank all participants for entering the cup and showing off some incredible skills to us once again. Also, massive props to those who have contributed to the prize pool, raising it to an incredible sum of 500€+, this completely blew away all of our expectations!
We hope everyone had a good time and see you next time!
Hey everyone! Happy new year!
After a pretty successful first edition of SourceRuns Half-Life Jump map cup™ we’ve been trying to organize a second one this past year, however due to lack of good organization it never really happened. Until now, that is!
The SourceRuns Half-Life Jump map cup is coming back for a 2nd edition in 2018! It will take place in February 3rd, starting at 16:00 UTC. Don’t miss it!
Same as last year, it will be a live event that we will stream on our Twitch channel at http://twitch.tv/SourceRuns so make sure to follow that.
This time we’ll be introducing some new maps, though a couple of classic ones have remained as well.
A package with all the map files is available here.
The rules are pretty much the same as last year, with the map picking part being slightly different.
The tournament will have a Best of 3 Single Elimination format, with the grand final being Best of 5. Each participant will be able to pick and ban one map out of the pool. During the grand final, each player will only be able to ban one map.
All runs are done in a Half-Life multiplayer mod Adrenaline Gamer, on a server running HL KreedZ. The mod has uncapped bunnyhopping and a built-in autojump feature that you will be able to use.
In order to allow fair competition, the fps_max CVAR is capped to 249.5
Using checkpoints and teleports is not allowed, every run has to be a “Pro” run.
Abuse of health boosters to gain speed at the start is not allowed.
Tournament runs will be 1v1 races.
Any kind of scripted sequences are banned, except OpenAG autojump, duckroll, doubleduck and usespam.
- agtricks stair climb script is also banned.
You are required to record demos during your runs and be able to provide them if requested.
If you need a place to practice the maps:
Europe server (Stockholm) play.sourceruns.org:27016
NA East server: 18.104.22.168:27015
We are going to have an open prize pool again, so if you wish, you can donate here.
Current prize pool: 356,18€
1st place winner will receive 70%
2nd place winner will receive 30%
Sign-ups are now closed.
List of players who have signed up so far is available here.
Stay tuned for further updates!
An update to Bunnymod XT was released, allowing runners to save the run data (final timer value, gameover event etc.) inside demos. This means that the runners are no longer required to include a screenshot/video together with the runs when submitting them to speedrun.com leaderboards for GoldSrc games.
Therefore, some small rule changes:
- You are now required to use the latest Bunnymod XT version for speedruns.
_bxt_save_runtime_data_in_demosCVAR must be set to 1 (default value).
- You are no longer required to include a screenshot/video when submitting a run, demos are enough.
The SourceRuns Half-Life Jump Map Cup #1 is now over!
Congratulations to PJC for winning the grand final, with d0t taking the 2nd place! Both runners showed us some insanely great jumping skills. Big thanks to everyone who has signed up and participated, as well as to the contributors to the prize pool! We hope you enjoyed the show!
Brackets can be found here.
The first edition of SourceRuns Jump map cup took place in March 11, 2017. The prize pool was raised to 200€, with first prize winner receiving 70% of the prize, and second place 30%.
List of players who had signed up can be found here
Recently we had a discussion in our Discord server about allowing and disallowing some certain console-exclusive commands that were being used in various speedrunning techniques. The commands in question were:
We held a community vote to decide which commands should be allowed and which ones should be banned, as well as introducing a command whitelist to handle the rule. Another subject that came up was splitting the scripted categories into Savewarp% and No savewarp%. 30 out of 56 runners have voted, you can view the results here.
From now on..
- All submitted runs are required to follow the command whitelist. If your run uses a disallowed command it will get rejected, so make sure to update your binds and configs accordingly. If you are playing on a default config, you are good to go. Every setting available in the game’s menu is also allowed to be used.
- The scripted category is split into two: one for runs with the Savewarping/Wrongwarping tricks and one for runs without them. Runs have been transferred to corresponding categories.
Hey! Here’s what happened since July til the end of October:
- The SourceRuns Marathon 2016 took place in August (12th-13th) with over 35 games ran by the community members, as well as a fundraiser, raising a total of $621 for National Alliance on Mental Illness. A list of all speedrun VODs is available over at the forums.
- After the success of the 2016 SourceRuns Marathon, and after many requests for more frequent content over the years, we have started hosting “mini-marathons” every 2 weeks on our Twitch channel, featuring runners in and around the community, and featuring more than just Source and GoldSRC games! If you have ever wanted to get involved with SourceRuns, or just want to show off some of your runs, please contact us directly on the forums, Twitter, or on our Discord (discord.gg/sourceruns), and we’ll be happy to include you in one of our events! This is open to all speedrunners from all communities, so don’t be afraid to submit a non-source game, too!
- Traderain made a program to analyze demos and saves from any source or goldsource engine demo or save to eliminate the need of multiple tools. It’s still in heavy development, but you can try it out here.
- You are now required to provide run demos when submitting your time to GoldSrc game leaderboards on speedrun.com. We have updated our “Getting Started” guide to help you set up the game for this rule.
- A new version of Bunnymod XT has been released, adding lots of new useful features. Make sure to update.
- Half-Life: Source OoB Done Quick speedrun premiered live on our Twitch channel on October 15th, followed by a short explanation stream. (two links in this text)
- Alien Swarm Timescale Assisted Speedrun by Onin is out! Watch it here.
- PJC has uploaded a new run of Half-Life: Decay “Surface Call” chapter, beating the old time from the 19 minute speedrun by 5 seconds.
- shar made a TAS of bhop_crossfire, beating it in 45.18s
- BitRain has recorded two explanation videos for the Half-Life 2: Done Quicker speedrun, covering both Train Station and Canals sections of the game. Check them out here.
- CRASH FORT uploaded an impressive TAS of a surf map surf_lt_omnific for CSS, using his own Source Tool Assist plugin for SourceMod.
- Chinese_soup found a way to skip Blast Pit using the new Save Warping glitch for the scripted category of Half-Life 1.
- A short jump map hoptrack, beaten in 16.18s by executλble
We have just finished the Half-Life: Source speedrun that we’ve been working on for a while now.
The speedrun came out surprisingly short – it even beats the legendary Half-Life in 21 minutes speedrun!
Yes, that’s correct! The final time for this Half-Life: Source speedrun is just 13 minutes and 16 seconds! Although it’s not really fair to compare the GoldSrc and Source versions of the game, we could’ve never imagined a Half-Life: Source speedrun to ever compete with Half-Life 1, especially back when there were attempts to make a speedrun of this game around 6 years ago.
The speedrun will premiere live this Saturday on October 15th, 6PM UTC at http://twitch.tv/SourceRuns! The runners will also be doing a live commentary after the run, so don’t miss it!
See you there!
UPDATE 08/14: The SourceRuns Marathon 2016 is now over! Over the two days we’ve managed to raise $621 for the National Alliance of Mental Illness, which is almost 2.5x more than our original goal of $250! Thank you for tuning in and for your donations, we hope you enjoyed the show! Look out for a list of highlighted marathon runs in the forums!
UPDATE 08/03: Submissions are now closed. The official dates for the marathon are August 12th and 13th. Schedule is being worked on.
It’s that time again, time for another SourceRuns marathon!
This year will be the second annual marathon hosted on http://twitch.tv/SourceRuns where Source and GoldSrc speedunners will livestream runs of their game of choice as fast as possible in front of a live audience.
The marathon is currently in the planning stage, so we don’t have an official date yet, but it will most likely be sometime after ESA. In the meantime, all speedrunners are welcome to sign up here!
We accept all games based on the GoldSrc and Source engines, as well as all of their mods! It’s a good opportunity to show off your skills in that one mod you wished got more attention within the speedrunning scene.
Submissions will be open for
a week until July 21st two weeks until July 28th. After that, we will pick the most suitable date for all runners and start building the marathon schedule.
A follow-up post will go live after the deadline with more details (dates, schedule and so), so stay tuned for that!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the forums thread.
Hey! This is our second community round-up post. In the first one we promised to do these bi-monthly, but since we’ve been very busy (releasing HL2DQer and stuff), we had to delay it until now. A lot of things have happened since then, but we’ll try to cover them anyway!
- As you may have noticed, the forums got a new look and also moved to a new domain at forums.sourceruns.org
- A scripted speedrun category was added to the Half-Life Blue Shift leaderboards
- There have been some overall rule changes for the leaderboards of most GoldSrc games. As a result, “wait” command is now banned in scriptless runs, a PS2 Category was added for Half-Life, and runs with different difficulties (WON Hard and WON Easy) were merged to a single category (WON).
- A major, GAME BREAKING glitch, called “Save Warping” has been discovered by Rama on GoldSrc and Source games with triggerdelaying. BitRain has made a video explaining it here. Another good example of the glitch is this particular run of Half-Life’s Hazard Course by YaLTeR.
- Half-Life 2 Done Quicker is out! The run premiered on May 1st on the Games Done Quick twitch channel, following with a brief commentary about the run.
- Portal speedrun done with least portals is out! Jukspa, Noir, Blizik, Elgu, Icykittenz, Fnzzy and Xeiz complete the entire game with only 15 portals in 13:47!
- Bloodvez has uploaded a segmented speedrun of the well-known Half-Life modification They Hunger: Episode 2, beating it in just 8:48. Check it out!
- Jukspa has made an impressive TAS of Half-Life 2’s coast levels! If you wish to know what happened in this run, Jukspa has also uploaded a commentary explaining it.
- Rama has also made a TAS of d2_coast_08, a level that is usually skipped in speedruns. This run follows the SourceRuns Winter Contest rules for this map, which means that getting up on top of the bridge is not allowed.
- Quadrazid uploaded a short “TAS experiment” of Opposing Force chapter “Pit Worm’s Nest”.
- YaLTeR has uploaded a TAS of Half-Life’s Anomalous Materials chapter. Since this is a part of the Half-Life full game TAS project, it’s using the sv_airaccelerate 100 setting.
- BitRain has made a TAS of Half-Life 2’s cut level “Lost Coast”, beating it in just 6 seconds.
- Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes – Miami Heat Individual Level speedrun by coolkid.
- Congratulations to nin_talal for getting the Half-Life scriptless World Record in the time of 32:49!
- A short speedrun of a Half-Life 2 level “Verizontal” by Elgu, beating it in 35 seconds!
- Two speedruns of Half-Life: Source have been started! Why two, you might ask? One of them is following the traditional approach, while the other is using the newly discovered Save Warping glitch.
- Half-Life 2: Episode One Done Quicker has been restarted once again, and is slowly progressing, currently at ep1_c17_00. Follow the progress at the timesheet.
- PJC has made a video explaining everything you need to know about game versions in GoldSrc speedrunning.
- executλble has uploaded a short video showcasing a small timesaver in Opposing Force’s of1a2 level.
- Half-Life 2: Done Quicker Outtakes have been edited and uploaded by BitRain.
- Rama has uploaded an unfinished TAS of the Ravenholm chapter from Half-Life 2. Check it out!
Hey everyone! We had an idea of making these bi-monthly community round-ups here in order to let you guys know what’s going on around the community and keep you updated.
- After a long discussion and some voting on our Discord server, we’ve formed a new category for the Half-Life and Opposing Force leaderboards at speedrun.com. From now on you’ll be able to submit runs that use scripts! More details can be found in the categories’ rules.
- SourceRuns now has a couple of game servers that you can play on. The first one is a Counter-Strike: Global Offensive server running KZTimer and kz_ maps. The other one is for a Half-Life mod Adrenaline Gamer. Both of these servers are located in Strasbourg, France.
- A LiveSplit Auto-Splitter has been released for Half-Life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift and Gunman Chronicles. This allows for automatic timer starting & stopping on game ending, as well as automatic splitting on every game chapter and level. For setup instructions, read the guide here.
- Half-Life 2: DWaHMoV has reached 1,000,000 views on YouTube! Wooo!
- Congratulations to chili_n_such on getting the World Record for Half-Life 2 with the time of 1:21:21.990!
- Congratulations to PJC on getting the World Record for Half-Life: Opposing Force in the Single-Segment category with the time of 24:38.880!
- Congratulations to Jukspa on getting the World Record for Half-Life 2: Episode Two in the Single-Segment category with the time of 50:12.370!
- Rama has uploaded a speedrun of a Half-Life 2: Episode Two mod Tr1p, beating it in the time of 5:26.
- Half-Life 2 Done Quick-er is nearing it’s completion, currently being at d3_breen_01. However, there’s still video production work left.
- Imanex has uploaded a video Portal – Watch Your Step, a runthrough of Portal with least in-game steps taken to beat the entire game!
- PJC has made a Half-Life: Blue Shift speedrun tutorial which should be helpful if you want to start running the expansion.
- Bloodvez has been researching a bunch of strats for Sven Co-op and has uploaded a video showcasing a lot of major level/chapter skips.
- Jukspa has uploaded a tutorial for the Half-Life 2: Episode Two Dog Race skip.
- Tryedz has made a Half-Life recent strats video, showcasing and explaining all the recent strategies/tricks used in SS/RTA runs.
Oh hey! This looks new, doesn’t it?
Welcome to our new website! It’s something we’ve been working for a while. As the name implies, it’s still in beta, and there’s a lot of things that need to be done until it’s complete, but we’ve decided to go live with it anyway.
If you dislike the change and/or just prefer the old site, it’s still available over here for the time being.
Feel free to look around. As you can see, a lot of planned content is still missing, the site loads pretty slow (will be way better later on) and some of the features we want to add are still on their way. Check our to-do list below.
The forums will remain at the same place, but an interface overhaul is planned soon too.
- Set-up proper game/engine hubs (65%)
Add speedrun pages
- Add/finish “Getting started” guides (40%)
Add a Downloads section
- Transfer user accounts, for now you’ll have to make a new account
..and whatever we come up with later..
We hope to finish these things fairly quickly, if you have any feedback or suggestions, please make a post on the forums or in the new comment section 🙂
As you might have heard there has been quite a bit of discussion about the rules for speedrunning Half-Life 2 and the episodes. This led to numerous arguments which didn’t end up in any sort of consensus, so to solve these issues we held a poll about various things between the people who have done RTA runs in the past 6 months. The games that are affected are HL2 New Engine, HL2 Old Engine, HL2:EP1 and HL2:EP2. We’re going to go through a transition period of two weeks after which these rules will go into effect on the speedrun.com leaderboards. If you know any active runners who are using the leaderboards then please let them know.
The changes to the rules are following:
- Menuing and pauses are counted towards the final time.
As of right now the Livesplit timer doesn’t automatically count these in so you will have to time these manually from the video and add that to the Livesplit game time if you want to submit a loadless time.Just upgrade to Livesplit 1.6 and the menus should be timed automatically! No manual timing needed.
- You can no longer use modifications to your HUD that give you some sort of an advantage. The most common of these was disabling the white flashing while taking damage, which is no longer allowed. Modifications that clearly give you no benefit at all, like changing the font or altering the credits text are allowed.
For HL2 New Engine specifically:
- You can no longer use maps from different versions. Most commonly this was being used in HL2 for using steampipe maps in the new engine unpack. So if you are using the Ghosting Mod or the Source Unpack you’re going to have to update your maps. Here’s a link to download the maps, optionally you can also get the newest version of the unpack as that has this issue fixed. To update your maps just copy and paste the map files to your maps folder.
This means that the following things are still allowed:
- save deletion
- reload/kill commands
- save/load bind
- Ghosting mod(provided that you use the 5135 maps)
- anything else that was allowed before that wasn’t listed above as banned
What hasn’t been decided yet is what effect this will have on the runs that are currently on the leaderboards, so if you have any thoughts on that or any questions on the specifics of the rules then feel free to post in this thread.
Update: Jul 22, The SourceRuns Marathon is now over! Thanks to all the runners and to everyone who watched the marathon, it was a really great experience! A list with all the speedrun videos done during the marathon can be found here.
After some silence, we finally have more news on the GoldSRC/Source speedrunning marathon that we announced earlier on June.
This marathon, which we’re planning to place between the end of ESA (July 5) and the start of SGDQ (July 26), will be a mass-collection of speedruns of all of your favorite (gold)source games, by all your favorite SourceRunners. There will be no donations since this marathon is purely for fun.
We’ve finally finished taking submissions and planning the schedule for the event!
The SourceRuns Marathon will take place on July 20th, starting at 3:00PM UTC and will be running till July 21st!
Huge thanks to all the runners who submitted the games for the event.
The marathon’s schedule can be found here: http://speedrun.com/srmarathon/schedule
Some minor changes are possible in case a runner isn’t available or we’re ahead of the schedule and need some filler content.
The whole marathon will be streamed on the SourceRuns Twitch channel. So if you would like, you can follow that for updates!
Recently, we’ve been interviewed by the Valve community news site LambdaGeneration on the Half-Life 2: Episode Two Done Quick speedrun we’ve done just a few weeks ago. In the interview, we talk about some general speedrun-related stuff, background info on the run creation process and a few other things.
The interview is now published and can be read here:http://lambdageneration.com/community/half-life/ep2dq-interview/
Huge thanks to Jeff @ LambdaGen for making this happen! 😀
We hope you enjoy the interview!
It’s been a long wait, 5 years to be precise, but it’s finally here;
Presenting Half Life 2: Episode Two Done Quick in 30:36.705
Development of the run started immediately after SourceRuns released Episode One speedrun back in 2010, a small group of runners started routing Episode Two’s maps and eventually doing segments. The run has been in progress for a very long time, lots of game-breaking tricks were discovered that forced the run to be restarted 3 times until being finally finished, saving more than 6 minutes from previous time estimates.
Completed on the initial Orange Box release, Engine 14; Protocol 4104 of EP2 in 441 segments (out of which 194 are save/load segments) by:
Jukspa, Matmo, Elgu, S., BitRain, Blizik, Valvinraim and Eidgod
(All videos come with commentary as a second track)
The SourceRuns Winter contest has now ended!
The fastest time of the last map, surf_river_of_flame, has been achieved by sadf – 34 seconds!
It’s been really great seeing the community submit so many demos for our event, some of the objectives were easy, some were hard, but we were mostly impressed by the amount and the quality of your submitted demos!
Starting December 10th up until December 26th, runners have been submitting their fast demos of our selected maps and the runners who collected the most points at the end of the contest have won.
Grand prize: Humble Indie Bundle 13 BTA.
2nd place gets GRID™ + Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy + Blackguards.
3rd place will be awarded with Always Sometimes Monsters + Full Mojo Rampage.
Congratulations! Detailed leaderboard can be found here.
A video compilation of the fastest runs can be found here!
We also want to give a big thanks to everyone who participated. Here’s the special prize for you – a drawing of a polar bear by Elgu & exec!
We hope you enjoyed this contest, we’re looking forward to do more of these in the future!
So, today I wanted to make an important (unrelated to us in anyway due to its age) announcement that we have wanted to talk about for some time, but felt our reputation would be harmed or cause an unnecessary backlash from previous runners.
First off, I want to express my gratitude to the runners of HL2DQ. Their hard work and dedication has brought our community together, and without it, we wouldn’t be where we are today, with 12,000 total forum posts, 10,000 subscribers and 1.7 million views on youtube, and over 300 members on our forums. We really can’t thank you guys enough. However, this does not include the runner, bandit5k.
Back in 2009, the new SourceRuns team discovered that HL2DQ was a cheated run, and should not count for any world record. This discovery is partially the reason DWaHMoV was made. Bandit5k, responsible for 13 segments throughout the run, decided he would take it upon himself to use both timescale, which is very clear in the Ravenholm segments, and, possibly, used different saves in some of the coast segments, which you can see when he has a different speed coming out of the tunnels. Because of his selfishness, he defiled what was an amazing achievement, and completely invalidated all of the runner’s hard work. I apologize tremendously to all the runners who participated in HL2DQ, especially DaleLewill, who has been extremely supportive of our community since we started.
Bandit5k has since tried making a comeback to speedrunning, as he joined the hype with Portal 2’s release back in 2011. Inexistence, TYPICAL, and I had to monitor his activity to make sure he would not ruin yet another run.
If anyone sees this person trying to participate in any speedrun-related project, please inform the run’s head. We do not stand for nor tolerate this kind of dishonesty, and we feel responsible for making this aware, as it does reflect on our community.
For further proof, please check this video out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya9sXlnGctg (Demos slowed down 30% by Heplooner)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRtPi3s2uEU (A break-down analysis by BitRain)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soFye1rP-zA (Comparison between Real-time and timescale by Centaur1um)
Here at SourceRuns, as you might already know, we’ve started taking speedrun submissions. Almost three weeks later, we’ve finally got our first submission – a segmented speedrun of a Half-Life 2: Episode Two mod “Person of Interest”, beaten in 2:23 by Rama! Congratulations!
Done in 54 segments, this run is a lot more than you’d expect! Tons of ABH launches, damage boosts and even going Out of Bounds!
Enjoy, and keep submitting your runs!
First of all, let me just happily announce that Jared “Centaur1um” is back in business! After dealing with stuff in his private life, he’s back in the administration of SourceRuns! Welcome back, brother. 🙂
Second of all, we have some big news… From now on we will start taking submissions!
Ever since the releases of runs like DWaHMoV and PDP-er, SourceRuns has gained a huge number of members and subscribers. This means that the “SourceRuns team” isn’t as evident as it used to be, with many members focusing on different parts of Source running (some members only do Portal 1/2 running, some only Source mods, some only gold source games, etc. etc.). There’s been a lot of members asking if we could feature their runs on our YouTube channel and previously we haven’t had a system for taking submissions. Well, that’s about to change!
We have seen a lot of really high quality runs in the forums lately and sadly those runs only a get a fraction of the views they deserve. By applying through the form (located at the bottom of the text) we give anyone the opportunity to submit their run of any Source game/mod of HL2, EP1-2, Portal or even Gold source (HL1, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, etc.) and with any category (least portals, crowbar only, etc.) given that the category is interesting enough to watch. The SourceRuns administration will review all submissions to ensure that the runs we upload on our YouTube channel holds very high levels of quality. Both in terms of video quality as well as how optimized the runs are.
This is what we expect from your run, in order for it to be accepted:
- Encoded and rendered in 16:9 HD (720p is accepted but 1080p would be preferred).
- If your run is segmented, the segment transitions have to be smooth and somewhat seamless.
- Your run has to be very optimized. If you lose seconds here and there from sloppy BHopping/ABH’ing and/or your routes could easily be improved, your run will not be accepted.
- Your run can not include any sort of copyrighted material what so ever. If a mod uses a licensed song for example, you need to either replace the music during that part or remove it completely.
- Do not add any sort of editing special effects such as slow motion (duh), motion blur, lens flares, etc. The only alterations of the game we approve that may be added in post production are the runner’s name, end credits and color grading to smooth out segment transitions.
More on high-quality video production:
If your run is accepted it will be uploaded to our YouTube channel with soon-to-be 10 000 subscribers. It will feature your nickname in both title (given that your nickname isn’t a million characters long) and description, if you wish to add links to your twitter/twitch/steam etc. in the description you are welcome to do so.
Apply here, good luck fellow SourceRunners!
Since we have received a couple of questions, our ruleset has been updated.
- The final video has to be in 60 FPS and encoded in a YouTube friendly way (meaning the 60 FPS works in the YouTube player).
- You may upload your run(s) to your own/other YouTube channels as well, with an exception of any of the SDA affiliated channels.
- You may submit your run to SDA and have it verified there.
- The standard rule for timing your run may not always apply. Consult with us if you disagree with it for your specific mod/game.
The moment we’ve all been waiting for. Half-Life speedrun in 21 minutes is finally out!
What are you waiting for? Go watch it now!
In-depth video commentary is coming soon, so stay tuned for that.
List of runners:
For those who are unfamiliar with HL21 – this is a speedrun of Half-Life 1 that Spider-Waffle and quadrazid began planning in mid-2010. At that time it was estimated to be 27 minutes long.
The speedrun finally entered the running stage on the summer of 2012 with a time estimate of 24 minutes. Many skillful runners have joined to create the ultimate Half-Life speedrun. During the running process, new tricks and routes have been discovered, dropping the estimated time down to 21 minutes.
And here it is! Half-Life in 899 jumps, 317 segments, 20 minutes and 41 seconds.
High-quality download links:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/10000855 720p60fps torrent
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/10000909 720p120fps torrent